Monday, June 19, 2017

Cauliflower Broccoli Pancakes with Fried Egg


For the last 8 days I have been on the Wild Rose Detox/Cleanse. I have been struggling with breakfast ideas that are "cleanse approved" until I decided to use up some veggies I had in the fridge. I decided to try a very simplified version of our cauliflower crust pizza (that recipe HERE). 
Turns out this was a brilliant idea (if I do say so myself). 
The recipe for the "pancakes" is only 3 ingredients then there is only 3 more ingredients for the toppings. How easy is that? 
According to MyFitnessPal, one serving (recipe makes 1) is: 214 calories, 14 carbs, 10 fat, 17 protein, and 4 fiber. Even if you aren't following the Wild Rose Detox/Cleanse (website here for more info), this is a great recipe for a healthy, hearty, delicious breakfast. Nutritional info includes pancakes and toppings.
If you are interested in hearing about my experience with the cleanse then be sure to check back. I will do a more extensive post with what I thought after I have finished the cleanse. 


Cauliflower Broccoli Pancakes (with Fried Egg)

Ingredients
Pancakes
1 cup grated cauliflower, raw
1/2 cup cooked, finely chopped broccoli
1 egg

Toppings
1/4 cup sliced onions
fried egg
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper

Directions
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cauliflower, broccoli, and egg until well combined. 
Heat a frying pan over medium/low heat. Scoop half of the cauliflower broccoli mixture into the pan and press into a circle about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. 


Let cook until firm - don't rush it!! I believe it took about 8 minutes on the first side. (I just kept gently trying to lift the edges with a flipper until it felt solid enough to turn over). Gently turn over and cook the other side for about the same amount of time. You want the heat fairly low so the outside doesn't burn and leave the inside mushy. 


When done, move to a plate and keep warm while you prepare the second pancake.

While second pancake is cooking, in a second frying pan, fry the onions and the egg over medium heat until they reach desired level of done-ness. I started the onions frying, when they were turning translucent I pushed them to one side and cracked the egg in. 
To serve: Place second pancake on serving plate with the first. Sprinkle with a little garlic powder and salt & pepper. 
Place fried egg on top and then the onions. Season with a little more salt and pepper, if desired. 


Serve immediately. 


I added a little bell pepper to my plate as the calorie count on these was so low. 


You can leave out the broccoli if you like and these will still work just fine. I just happened to have leftover broccoli to use up and wanted to add a little color. These are definitely best served as soon as they are made. They do not reheat well as they they don't maintain their crispness (read: they get soggy). 
I really liked this and will be adding it to my breakfast rotation. The only thing I will note that makes these tricky is trying to flip them. DO NOT rush it. Let them cook for as long as it takes!! You can cover the pan with a lid for a few minutes to help hold in the heat and cook better if you find the bottom is getting too dark and the pancake isn't cooking through. 

Pop over to Carole's Chatter for more food links. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this. Please add it to Food on Friday: June. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this again - fab pancakes. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post Thanks for sharing this information

    ReplyDelete