Monday, September 24, 2012

Best BBQ Ribs


Sue here.
I had to post about these ribs before Jo tried to claim she made them. She's not normally like that but these ribs were so good I just know she'd want the glory for making them.
These are the best ribs I have ever eaten.
THE.
BEST.
Okay, granted, they are a little bit involved to make. Trust me when I say - they are totally worth the effort. Jo and our older sister, Orra, couldn't stop eating them. Kenzie loved them too. My husband on the other hand, complained they were too spicy.
To him I say...Bah humbug.
He doesn't know what he is talking about. If Jo is able to eat it then it is not too spicy.
You have to make these. Have to!


Best BBQ Ribs

Ingredients
Spice Rub
2 1/2 Tbsp lemon pepper
2 Tbsp seasoning salt
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, depending on how spicy you want to go)
Ribs
1 1/2 cups Spice Rub (above)
1 (4-pound) rack pork spareribs
1/2 cup water
1 cup BBQ sauce
Directions
To make the spice rub: whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl.
Sprinkle Spice Rub on both sides of ribs, rubbing the meat to adhere. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place ribs in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet, and pour water into pan. Cover with foil and roast for 1 hour. Remove the pan from oven and uncover. Pour off any excess water.
Preheat your BBQ for 10 minutes on medium.
Evenly coat top of ribs with barbecue sauce. Place, sauce side up, on grill. Cover and let cook 10 minutes. Flip ribs over on grill, brush remaining BBQ sauce onto tops of ribs. Cover and cook another 5 - 10 minutes, until ribs are cooked. Remove from heat.  
Let ribs rest for 10 minutes.
Slice the ribs between each bone with a serrated knife.
Serve immediately.
P.S. - Be prepared to get messy.

I have definitely added this to my favorite recipe file.
If you try this please let us know what you think. I would love to hear what other people think of the Spice Rub. To be honest I would love to be able to tell my husband that he is crazy and everyone else in the world thinks it isn't spicy. But, we'll keep that between you and me.

**UPDATE**
Jo here. I loved Sue's ribs so much I decided to use her recipe to make some chicken on the BBQ.
I made up the rub as per the recipe and rubbed it on each boneless, skinless chicken breast. First I cut several slits into the breasts so the rub would penetrate the meat and it also helps the breasts to cook more evenly. (Don't cut too deep though, you don't want the breast to fall apart at the cuts.)


I then put 1/4 oil and 1/4 cup vinegar into a large Ziplock bag, smooshed it around a bit, and then added the the rubbed chicken. I then let them marinate for about 8 hours. (You can let them sit overnight if you like.)
When you are ready to cook them: get your grill preheated and ready to go. Place the chicken on the BBQ. Flip chicken over halfway through cooking.
During the last few minutes of cooking - baste with your favorite BBQ sauce, cook for a minute. Flip over, baste other side, cook for another minute.


This is the some of the best chicken I have ever had. It is a little bit spicy but not too spicy.
Well, for me anyway. By the end of my piece of chicken my lips were burning, but I just drank lots of water and it was okay.


So delicious.

Check out Carole's Chatter for some great food links.

7 comments:

  1. Your ribs look delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it looks delicious and so tender! I will definitely try this. I'm a food enthusiast and I love trying out different versions of barbecue rib recipes.

    Javier Oniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it your way, and I thought it was a little spicy. Tried it again without the cumin and child powder and it was perfect for my taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing on the BBQ Block Party! The ribs look wonderful and I like the combination of spices in your rub. I also thought the chicken looked really good too.I think I will give it a test run on baby back ribs (my favorite)! Can't wait to see what you bring next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo and Sue, your BBQ Ribs are being featured on the Thursday (6/13) BBQ Block Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing on the BBQ Block Party! The ribs look wonderful and I like the combination of spices in your rub. I also thought the chicken looked really good too.I think I will give it a test run on baby back ribs (my favorite)! Can't wait to see what you bring next week.

    ReplyDelete